Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
Yield: Serves 3
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread
- 1/2 c. chopped strawberries
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. strawberry jam
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Garnish: powdered sugar, sliced almonds, fresh strawberries
- Slice loaf of bread into 2" pieces (should yield about 6 pieces, not counting end pieces). Using a paring knife, cut deep slit across the top in the middle of each slice, approx. 4" long; set bread aside.
- Add sugar to chopped strawberries and mix; let sit to juice. Mix together jam and cream cheese until well blended. Stuff into bread about 2 Tbsp. each of cream cheese mixture and strawberries; gently press opening closed.
- Mix eggs, cinnamon and milk until well blended. Melt butter in skillet, heating to medium-high. Meanwhile, dip bread slices into egg mixture, about 20 seconds each side. Only dip as many pieces as you will fry immediately. Fry each slice about 3 minutes each side. Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with almonds and strawberries.