Pasta and Bean Soup
Yield: Feeds 2 people
- MEAT: 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 c. each chopped onion and celery
- 1/2 c. shredded carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can condensed SOUP: minestrone
- 1 soup can water
- 1 (19 oz.) can light red kidney beans with liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed HERB: basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 c. uncooked PASTA: elbow macaroni
- Cook MEAT in 4-qt. Dutch oven over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic; cook until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining ingredients except PASTA. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in PASTA; cook about 12 minutes more or until pasta is tender. Discard bay leaf and serve.