Mom Koser's Bean Soup
Yield: Feeds a family of 8
- One whole ham with bone
- 3 c. dried beans (1/2 navy, 1/2 great northerns)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. chopped carrots
- 1 c. chopped celery stalks and leaves
- 1/2 c. chopped green onions
- 2 c. chopped ham (or amount desired)
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2-4 Tbsp. molasses (or amount desired for taste)
- a few drops of liquid smoke
- Bake or grill the ham (grilling is better), placing in pan with water. When done keep ham bone, broth and desired amount of meat (save the rest of the meat for a different meal).
- Place beans in bowl of water and let soak overnight. If unable to leave overnight: place on stove and bring to a boil; cover and let stand 3 hours. Drain. Add fresh water, enough to cover beans 1 inch. Cook over high heat uncovered until it comes to a boil; reduce heat and boil 5 minutes. Stir in baking soda and continue to simmer. After about 40 minutes test for tenderness: when the skins of two beans held in a spoon crack as you blow on them, they are done.
- Drain water from beans. Cover with fresh water and add ham broth and bone. If using crockpot, put mixture in crockpot now. Add remaining ingredients; turn on low and simmer until all vegetables and beans are very soft (beans may be a little mushy).