Frosted Cream Cheese Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 c. soft cream cheese
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 c. flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- heaping 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- scant 1 c. sour cream
- 6 Tbsp. melted, cooled butter
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and grease muffin pan. Put 1/2 c. cream cheese in small bowl; sift in 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar and beat together. In large separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in brown sugar. Lightly beat eggs in separate bowl, then beat in sour cream, butter and lemon rind. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Spoon half the batter into prepared muffin pan. Add a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture to the center of each, then top with remaining batter. Bake 20 minutes until well risen, golden brown and firm to the touch. Let muffins cool in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- To make frosting, put remaining cream cheese in a bowl and sift in remaining powdered sugar. Add lemon juice and beat well together. Spread on top of muffins, then chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.