Fried Ice Cream
Yield: About 12 ice cream balls
- 1 container Breyer's vanilla ice cream
- roughly 6 oz. corn flakes; total crushed amount = 3 c.
- 1 package golden Oreos, filling removed; total crushed amount = 1 1/2 c.
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- canola oil, for frying
- chocolate syrup and whipped cream (garnish)
- Scoop ice cream into balls and place each in a separate plastic cup. Cover and freeze at least an hour. Meanwhile, crush corn flakes and Oreos (should be almost crumbs, but still with some texture). Combine in medium bowl and stir in sugar and cinnamon.
- Remove ice cream balls 2 at a time from freezer. Roll completely in crumb mixture, then eggs, then back in crumb mixture. Be sure ice cream is completely covered, or it won't fry properly. Return ice cream balls to cups and cover; place in freezer and continue process with next two ice cream balls. Let all balls freeze at least 2 hours.
- Heat oil to 400 degrees in small, deep saucepan. Remove two ice cream balls at a time from freezer. Working with one ball at a time, gently lower into oil and fry 30 seconds until golden brown. Remove ice cream to bowl, garnish and serve immediately, while crumb coating is hot and crunchy but ice cream is still frozen.