Espresso Thumbprint Cookies
Yield: About 3 1
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/4 tsp. saltFilling Ingredients:
- 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp. instant espresso coffee (dry)
- 1 c. milk chocolate chips
- Candy sprinkles or crushed peppermints, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl beat sugar, butter, vanilla and egg (mixer or spoon is fine). Stir in flour, cocoa and salt. Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into 1" balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet 1" apart (they won't really widen at all). Indent each cookie with thumb, but do not press all the way to cookie sheet.
- Bake 7-11 minutes or until edges are firm (I found 7-8 minutes worked best for me). Quickly remake indentations if necessary. Immediately remove to cooling rack and let cool about 30 minutes.
- In 1 qt. saucepan heat whipping cream and coffee over medium heat, stirring occasionally until steaming and coffee is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate chips until melted. Cool about 10 minutes or until thickened. Spoon into indentations and top with peppermints.