Boxed Mac & Cheese That Doesn't Suck
Yield: Serves 6
- 3 boxes (7.25 oz each) mac & cheese
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 tomato, chopped (optional)
- 8 oz. (or less) sour cream, or plain yogurt
- 1-2 Tbsp. milk
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 7-10 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- Cook the macaroni, but make sure you don't overcook - use the LOW end of the time range on the box. Drain.
- Cover the bottom of the same pan with olive oil (don't be too shy). Cook onions in oil on medium heat. They should be barely translucent, so they lend a sweetness and no heat. Add tomatoes 1-2 minutes before onions are done.
- Gradually add macaroni back to pan, stirring often to lubricate pasta.
- Dump the cheese mixes in, along with about two heaping spoonfuls of sour cream (just eyeball it) and enough milk to loosen things up. Crack black pepper over the top of the whole pan, then stir everything together.
- Heat and stir until all the powder is melted and mixed. You may add more milk/sour cream at this point to get the consistency you want. Stir in bacon and serve.