Yield: 32-48 pieces
- 3 c. pecans, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 c. butter, melted (you'll need way more than this, but it's a start)
- 1/2 of a 16-oz. pkg. frozen phyllo dough (14x9" rectangles), thawed
- 3/4 c. water
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2" stick cinnamon
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. In large bowl, stir together pecans, 1/2 c. sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Brush bottom of a 13x9" baking dish with melted butter. Unroll phyllo dough. Layer 5-6 sheets in the prepared pan, brushing each sheet generously with melted butter. Sprinkle with about 1 c. of nut mixture. Repeat layering phyllo and nut mixture two more times, being sure to brush each sheet with butter. (To keep unused phyllo from drying out while you're working on one sheet, keep between two damp paper towels.) Top with remaining phyllo sheets (brush with butter as usual). Cut into squares, then cut each square into a triangle.
- Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly in pan on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan stir together 1 c. sugar and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove cinnamon. Pour syrup over warm baklava in pan, then cool completely.